Navjot Singh Sidhu has been dropped out of popular television comedy series The Kapil Sharma Show following his comments on the Pulwama terror attack.
According to media reports, the Punjab cabinet minister will be replaced by Archana Puran Singh on the show.
“His remarks have not been taken kindly by most.
Also, the channel and the show was getting dragged into the unwanted controversy.
This is when the team amicably decided that Navjot make a distance from the show.
The team has already shot a couple of episodes with Archana,” a source told an Indian daily.
Earlier, Sidhu, also a former Indian cricketer, during a media interaction, said:
“It (the terror attack) is a cowardly and dastardly act and I condemn it firmly. Violence is always condemnable and those who did it must be punished.”
However, he followed that up by saying: “For a handful of people, can you blame the entire nation and can you blame an individual?”
Sidhu’s comments faced harsh criticism and since then social media has been flooded with posts demanding his exit from Kapil Sharma’s Show.
However, this is not the first time that Sony TV has taken a stand over a controversy.
After Anu Malik’s name came up in the #MeToo campaign, he was sacked overnight as a judge from Indian Idol 10.
Interestingly, Archana Puran Singh had also replaced Sidhu in The Kapil Sharma Show in 2017 after the latter had fallen ill.
In the worst terror attack on security forces in Jammu and Kashmir, a terrorist from Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed blew up a vehicle carrying 60 kg of explosives next to a convoy of the Central Reserve Police Force or CRPF on Thursday.
The explosion was so massive that window panes of houses and buildings were damaged in a nearly-10-km radius.