Actor-comedian Leslie Jordan and actor, CEO and producer Tracee Ellis Ross announced the 94th Oscars nominations on February 8, via a global live stream on the Academy’s digital platforms, an international satellite feed and broadcast media.
Contesting in prominent categories like ‘Actor’ in leading role are names like
- Javier Bardem in “Being the Ricardos”
- Benedict Cumberbatch in “The Power of the Dog”
- Andrew Garfield in “tick, tick…BOOM!”
- Will Smith in “King Richard”
- Denzel Washington in “The Tragedy of Macbeth”
For ‘Actress’ in leading role consist of artists such as
- Jessica Chastain in “The Eyes of Tammy Faye”
- Olivia Colman in “The Lost Daughter”
- Penélope Cruz in “Parallel Mothers”
- Nicole Kidman in “Being the Ricardos”
- Kristen Stewart in “Spencer”
Belfast, CODA, Don’t Look Up, Drive My Car, Dune, King Richard, Licorice Pizza, Nightmare Alley, The Power Of Dog and West Side Story are contending for ‘Best motion picture of the year’. For the full list of nominations here!
Academy members from each of the 17 branches vote to determine the nominees in their respective categories. Actors nominate actors, film editors nominate film editors, etc. In the Animated Feature Film and International Feature Film categories, nominees are selected by a vote of multi-branch screening committees. All voting members are eligible to select the Best Picture nominees. This year, the Academy saw its highest-ever voter participation in the organisation’s history, with members submitting ballots from 82 countries.
Active members of the Academy are eligible to vote for the winners in all 23 categories beginning Thursday, March 17, through Tuesday, March 22. The 94th Oscars broadcasts on ABC from March 27 next year.